Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Message from Gov. Corzine

I received a message from the Governor's Office in my e-mail. I think it was great that his people are letting area residents know there is a meeting in Marlboro. I don't agree with this plan about the toll roads. But at least this governnor isn't hiding the issue. Below is the email.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm coming to Marlboro on Monday to talk directly to the people about my plan to fix our state's budget crisis. Here are the details:

Monday, February 4, 2008 7-9pm
Marlboro High School
95 North Main St.
Marlboro, NJ 07746

My plan imposes three key spending rules on our state budget. We'll immediately freeze state spending at current levels. We'll require any new spending to be tied to new revenue. And we will return the state's credit card to the people, requiring any state borrowing to be approved by the voters.

Additionally my plan involves toll hikes. The cost of an average trip on the Turnpike would be $2.05 in five years. In 10 years, it will be $5.80. That's up from $1.21 today.

Believe me, I've run all the numbers. There is no better alternative to achieve the twin goals of paying down our state's debt and funding the Transportation Trust Fund for the next 75 years.

I hope to see you at Monday's town hall meeting.

No comments: