Friday, August 24, 2007

Middletown PD press release



Prepared by Det. Lt. Joseph C. Capriotti

At approximately 12:40AM on August 23, 2007 Middletown Township Police officers were summoned to a disturbance on Powell Avenue in the Navesink section of the township. Officer Stephen Keller and Officer Charles Higgins were the first officers to arrive at the scene and discovered that two brothers had been involved in a fist fight that escalated to both men arming themselves with knives. Both men sustained injuries as a result of stab wounds.

Kevin Allen, age 23, of Powell Avenue in the Navesink section of Middletown Township sustained a severely lacerated thumb, a laceration to his neck and a puncture wound in the back of his head. He was treated and admitted to Riverview Medical Center.

Jayson Gross, age 37, who resides with Allen on Powell Avenue, was taken to Riverview Medical Center and treat for a laceration to his arm, fractured ribs and puncture wounds to his abdomen. He was released to police custody after being treated.

Police are still investigating details of the incident, but the two men, who are brothers, became involved in a fist fight. After the initial fist fight, a second fight followed between the two brothers involving at least two knives. The two men sustained their injuries as they continued to fight.

Both men are charged with Aggravated Assault, Unlawful Possession of a Weapon and Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose. Gross additionally is charged with making a Terroristic Threat against Allen. Bail for Jayson Gross was set at $108,000 with no ten percent option and Kevin Allen’s bail was set at $107,500, also with no ten percent option. Gross was transferred to the Monmouth County Correctional Institute and Allen was admitted to Riverview Medical Center for his injuries in the custody of the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Department.

Middletown officers who assisted at the scene were Sergeant Charles Terefenko, Corporal Ronald Chesek, Corporal Ralph Flannigan, Officer Kevin Gardiner, Officer Donald Coates and Officer Brian Dilworth. The Atlantic Highlands Police also assisted. Detective Barry Grimm, Detective Gerald Weimer and Detective William Strohkirch are conducting the follow up investigation.

No comments: