Since then, the attraction has grown to include the entire plantation site, and has been joined by a Raptor Center and Equestrian Center. In fact, this park has become a good vacation destination that serves not only area residents and schools but also tourists from far and wide. The gift shop has several good titles by local historians who present the past from a variety of outlooks.
In short, this place (operated by the county) makes money, is organized and serves as a community touchstone. There's a lot of history and a minimum of fluff. Good stuff.
Some things about Mr. Latta
Leaving behind a wife and two young sons, James Latta, a Scots-Irish Presbyterian, came to America from Ireland in 1785 to settle his father's estate.
Thirty years old with a sizeable inheritance at his disposal, Latta took up the title of traveling merchant. After the death of his first wife, Latta married a woman named Jane Knox, with whom he had three daughters and a son.
In 1799, Latta purchased land on a bend in the Catawba River. Around 1800, construction of the two-story, Federal style home was completed. Mr. Latta died in 1837, with the North and South edging toward conflict. Click on the headline to go to the site.
Captions: The Latta Plantation House (circa. 1800).