Saturday, July 05, 2008

July the Fourth wasn't the same because of gas prices

COMMENTARY...

When I received my $600 in 'Bush bucks' back this year, I was sure to put them in the bank. I have watched with a kind of grim fascination as gas prices continue to mount, and I have purposefully been not driving places, for the first time in the 24 years I've been driving.


I passed a gas station yesterday (Wawa in Howell on Route 9) and regular gas was $3.95 per gallon. I immediately thought that was a great price, and then the absurdity of that statement hit me. At work, I've been trying to figure out ways for my company to not have to drive places, and at home I can't count how many day trips that have been cancelled for lack of interest in going through tanks of gas. Another first in my driving career is knowing exactly how much it takes to fill up my tank: it takes about $50 to fill the tank of a Dodge Stratus up when it is basically empty.


It's become such a large issue that, at work, I have actually been in a conversation with a coworker that also knew exactly how much their Honda takes in gas.


I've heard the perspective that 'everything is OK' with the economy and it takes me back to that catchy 80's tune "Don't Worry, Be Happy." The song doesn't attempt to deal with anything, it just suggests that people not take things so seriously. It's the sort of logic that people have used before they jumped a freight car to chuck it all and join 'Boxcar Willie' on the open road, or become a full-time surfer. Since I don't think I'm quite ready for that, I'll go and light a candle that something gets done about the gas price thing sooner than later.


All I can say is that, if things get much worse at the pump, I'll be watching next year's fireworks at home on the television.

No comments: