Sunday, July 27, 2008

Response to Art Gallagher at More Monmouth Musings

I just read a post by Art Gallagher, after we spoke on the telephone. I told Art that Courier would not be printing his More Monmouth Musings column anymore, because after consultation with the NAACP (several people there), it was decided by me that Courier could not do this.

More Monmouth Musings is a popular state blog, and certainly very influential. Art is a very talented commentator and writer also. But, the N-word cannot be acceptable and the introduction of it by anyone cannot and should not be identified with the newspaper directly.
On a personal note, I think Art is very intelligent and I do believe he is very concerned about race. But I believe, as I have said before, that he brought up the issue of race in a bad way. I think the race issue is very charged and that much caution has to be used when addressing speech associated with it. I do thank the NAACP for its counsel also, because leaders there have put much work into the prospect of racial tolerance. Their wisdom is deeply appreciated.

As a person, I know Mr. Gallagher to be a very dedicated member of his community, who has fought very hard for business and taxpayers through his public speech. I truly regret that Courier cannot print his column anymore, because it is very good and insightful for the most part. As a business leader Art has done great things, but the newspaper cannot agree with him about this, and I cannot equivocate that. So, in print, there has to be a parting of the ways.

Courier covered the controversy, and will continue to do so. I have stated my position about race, and it is not a secret that I am a former member of the Board of Directors for the Greater Long Branch NAACP, which is an organization I place much stock in. So, I am going to have to disagree with Mr. Gallagher for the moment, but certainly not wish him any ill will.

No comments: